If you hear of someone who is severely ill or has a terminal condition, you should:
1. VISIT THEM
Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) said:
“Every Muslim has five rights over another Muslim (i.e., he has to perform five duties for another Muslim):
1) To return the greetings,
2) To visit the sick,
3) To accompany funeral processions,
4) To accept an invitation,
5) To respond to the sneezer [i.e., to say: `Yarhamuk-Allah (may Allah bestow His Mercy on you),’ when the sneezer praises Allah].”
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
The reward for this is immense as it is reported that ‘Ali bin Abu Talib (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that he heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying,
“When a Muslim visits a sick Muslim at dawn, seventy thousand angels keep on praying for him till dusk. If he visits him in the evening, 70,000 angels keep on praying for him till the morning; and he will have (his share of) reaped fruits in Jannah.”
Specific etiquettes and matters to consider when visiting an ill person can be found here.
2. REASSURE THEM
It’s important to be positive and put the one who is ill in a good state of mind, while reminding them of that any illness is a means of purification for the one who is patient with it. Say some kind words and reassure them that every illness has a cure and that ultimately Allah(SWT) is able to cure anyone by any means.
3. PRAY FOR THEM
Some of the supplications (dua) which are recommended are:
- “O Allah! The Lord of the people, the Remover of trouble! (Please) cure (Heal) (this patient), for You are the Healer. None brings about healing but You; a healing that will leave behind no ailment.”Anas(RA) read this over Thabit (RA) referring to it as the Ruqya of Allah’s Apostle.
[Sahih ul Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 638]
- In Allah’s name I do your Ruqya from every ailment that harms you. From the evil of every soul and every jealous eye. Allah (Swt) will cure you.
- ‘As’alullaahal-‘Adheema Rabbal-‘Arshil-‘Adheemi ‘an yashfiyaka’(Recite seven times in Arabic.) This means “I ask Almighty Allah, Lord of the Magnificent Throne, to make you well.” [At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud]
- Recite the following verses:
- Surah Al-Fathiha
- Surah Al-Ikhlas
- Surah Al-Falaq
- Surah An-Nas