Luton Council of Mosques and the Sunni Council of Mosques have been working with Bedfordshire Police and Lantern Muslim Women’s Group to tackle the rise of anti-Muslim hate crime and Islamophobia in Luton over the last few years.
As part of Islamophobia Awareness Month (IAM) which takes place every year during the month of November, we organised an Islamophobia & Hate Crime workshop with Bedfordshire Police. This workshop was specifically for Imams and those involved in the management of mosques and Islamic institutions.
The aim of the workshop was to:
- provide an overview of Islamophobia
- explore the definition of hate crime & the law
- give insight into local statistics
- explore the impact of hate crime on victims
- understand the purpose and process of reporting hate crime
- introduce online reporting tool ‘true vision’
The workshop took place at Luton Central Mosque – Westbourne Road (Lecture Hall).